Guardian Forums
Welcome. If you are a guest or are new to metaphysics, feel free to join. This is a great community where you can start your path. Please register to view more of the forums. Join today!
Guardian Forums
Welcome. If you are a guest or are new to metaphysics, feel free to join. This is a great community where you can start your path. Please register to view more of the forums. Join today!
Guardian Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guardian Forums

Connection Through Metaphysical Concept

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Origins of Spiders in Greek

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dramega
Admin
Admin
Dramega

Origins of Spiders in Greek Empty
PostSubject: Origins of Spiders in Greek   Origins of Spiders in Greek I_icon_minitime9/8/2013, 8:09 pm

Often, depending on the source concepts in religions can vary in their specifics. It's hard to come to know some stories as all that's left of them might be written in incomplete ancient Greek. Not much exists of this language quite similarly to other dead, ancient languages. To compensate for this families and cults have shared what they've heard and learned with their descendants. These stories that try to explain something that happened or continues to happen gave birth to myths.

A beast of mythical legend is the spider, an animal you'll notice I like to talk a lot about.
Spiders are very mystical creatures, they've been revered and regarded sacred by many cultures. In some mythological stories it is featured what can be learned from the experiences had by and had with spiders.

I'll add a popular version of the story of how spiders came to be according to later Graeco-pagan legend.

It was really a simple story... A long time ago, the world did not have spiders, but there was the popular art of weaving. No other human could weave like Arachne.

Arachne was said to be blessed by the gods themselves, with the ability to weave the most beautiful and intricate pieces those on Earth had ever seen.

The loveliness being held so precious by many eventually got to Arachne's head. Her pride swelled along with her ego, but one fateful day she lost her wits. Not literally. ;P

Among all others she knew of a specific goddess who was well known for her own gorgeous works, Athena: Goddess of Battle and Wisdom. She was herself a big fan of the arts. Athena is also well known for her temper, which, unlike her father's was entirely ''bite'' rather than ''bark then bite''.

Arachne made insincere challenges to goddess' name.

''I can weave more beautifully than even Athena herself'', she claimed. This was ignored by most, but most definitely not by Athena.

Athena accepted the young woman's challenge by planning a contest.

Arachne wove a magnificent piece, that ultimately struck the goddess' envy at such unworldly talent. Not only this, but there may have been a sliver of disrespect by Arachne's subject of weaving, ''the loves and transgressions of the gods''.

Athena in a burst of rage destroyed Arachne's work and loom, tied her up, and slashed the girl's face.

After this Arachne decided she'd rather hang than bow her head to Athena, but the goddess was not finished with her...

Athena loosened the rope. She twisted Arachne's body, deforming it. The headstrong girl became the very first spider damned to weave for the rest of eternity. As this happened, the rope itself became her web that which she weaved.

Other versions include the idea that despite Arachne's efforts and amazing talent did not win the contest. Athena in all her godly ability wove a masterpiece even the gods swooned over. Athena in return for the girl's impudence and over-the-top ego then decided to turn her into a spider.
Back to top Go down
https://gnforums.aforumfree.com
Dramega
Admin
Admin
Dramega

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Spiders in Greek   Origins of Spiders in Greek I_icon_minitime9/8/2013, 8:10 pm

Reposted due to a blunder on my end. Sorry LadySnow.
Back to top Go down
https://gnforums.aforumfree.com
LadySnow
LadySnow

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Spiders in Greek   Origins of Spiders in Greek I_icon_minitime9/19/2013, 9:17 am

I was wondering about that. At first I thought you just commented on it and then I recognized the writing. lol Well then, how about that? lol! 
Back to top Go down
http://www.arcaneunlocked.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Origins of Spiders in Greek   Origins of Spiders in Greek I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Origins of Spiders in Greek
Page 1 of 1