Guardian Forums
Welcome. If you are a guest or are new to metaphysics, feel free to join. This is a great community where you can start your path. Please register to view more of the forums. Join today!

Guardian Forums

Connection Through Metaphysical Concept

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Divination as a Practice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LadySnow

PostSubject: Divination as a Practice   7/24/2013, 4:17 am

Divination in general is described in many, many different ways. However there are a few consistencies so one can come to the conclusion that divination is basically coming by information through some higher power (named or not named, religious or not but certainly spiritual) that cannot be attained through typical, instantaneous perceptions of the five senses. This can include things but not limited to: ESP, oracle work, dowsing, scrying, palmistry, tarot card reading, the 'clair' abilities, and so on.

I'll describe a few of these for tonight...

ESP or Extrasensory Perception applies to out of the ordinary senses and abilities. In other words what people would call the "sixth sense". In addition to sight, hearing, smell, taste, and feeling by touch one could say, feel electric fields on a more detailed and sensitive level (vibes), predicting the weather by picking up on air pressure and by being much more attuned to it one can somehow know what sch conditions will undoubtedly bring regardless of exceptional cases, etc. ESP is hard to describe because it's really the misc. category in divination and frequently seen as controversial even in the occult community (scientific means have been used to prove many cases as nothing more than being highly observational).

Oracle work can describe many things as a very broad term. The first coming to mind being actual living Oracles, or people with an acute attachment or relationship with what are traditionally noted as deities. These Oracles according to myths and legends would act as radio stations broadcasting to and from the noted deity's perceptions and knowledge. Oracles were used by cities that were more religiously inclined to predict the outcome of citizens' actions and often worked the other way around by providing deities with a human vessel to better experience sensations through a mortal perspective. Being a god it was hard to understand some things through the eyes of a creature that bleeds, has a predetermined and much shorter lifespan, etc.
Oracle cards are a more commonly seen version of oracle work in modern day society. They work similarly to Tarot cards in that they are personable items that supposedly work together to provide messages from some kind of source; that being a god/deity, a spirit, universal energy, mana, and so on.

Dowsing is a simple task where a stick that has been blessed in some fashion for divine work is used to locate something. In the past and even today dowsing rods in the form of forked sticks are used to find some sort of resource like water, silver, or fruitful plants.

Scrying is a type of divination that requires a free formed part of nature which is then used to produce images or messages providing information. Scrying can be done over bodies of water, peering into fire, or reflections (mirrors or windows). To scry one will perform some kind of ritual to prod messages from the energies around them. It's bringing the idea of using energy to achieve knowledge in the most self-explanatory way.

Palmistry is a practice based on the idea that some parts of the lifespan is predetermined and expressed on indentations, markings, conditions, colors, and creases of the hand. This practice works on the belief that by looking at aspects of a specific hand certain things can be predicted with surprising accuracy.

The 'clair' abilities are a set of psychic abilities that play off of exaggerated or enhanced version of the basic senses and perceptions. They are a set of ESP abilities, but are prominent in the occult community and stand as a specific type of psychic perception all in themselves.
Clairaudience is the ability to hear things clearly disregarding distance and coming about intended information this way. The other 'clair' abilities work similarly.
Clairvoyance regards sight.
Clairsentience of "clear-feeling" is a heightened level of intuition, frequently mistaken for the intellectual ability "empathy" but is expressed as much more intuitive, acute, and all together capable of providing more information.
Clairiscentist refers to the olfactory sense, so you're a Blood Hound. ;D
Clairgustant is the tasting parallel.
Claircognizant would be the idea of just "knowing". Difficult to describe in a better way than saying, "you just know".

This is hardly a drop in the bucket of psychic abilities.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arcaneunlocked.com/
Dramega
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   7/29/2013, 2:11 am

Very informative.
Back to top Go down
http://gnforums.aforumfree.com
LadySnow

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   7/30/2013, 1:27 am

Thank you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Electric Touch
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   7/31/2013, 5:29 pm

id like to hear more about Claircognizant and Clairsentience if you have more to add

thanks
Back to top Go down
LadySnow

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   8/1/2013, 2:09 pm

I could get that for you sure.
I'll try and get to it later today actually. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Electric Touch
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   8/2/2013, 12:22 pm

appreciate it Lady Snow
Back to top Go down
LadySnow

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   8/5/2013, 7:44 pm

Claircognizance:
It is a highly attuned form of intuition. It is knowing something without witnessing or hearing of it and with no recollection of how or why you came upon that knowledge. It can happen through divination or a spiritual force sharing this knowledge with you in some way (can be manifested through emotions or whatever the case may be). It can also be between two other sources sort of like "copying and pasting" information into another document for someone else to use. It's typically seen as the idea of sharing information through energy links with one or more people, creatures, objects, or entities. It can happen intentionally and unintentionally.
It's having that gut feeling turn into a very accurate piece of information.
Developing claircognizance has a simple concept behind it, basically anything requiring you to either guess information another has that you don't or depending on a force to manifest it for you. Recommended examples I've read about are automatic writing and things like guessing one of a set of symbols someone is hiding from you (given that they have seen the symbol providing you a source of the knowledge needed to guess the symbol).

Clairsentience:
Clairsentience is depending on sensations you may be subject to giving you signals of other occurrences. Feeling a sudden explosion of joy and then noticing a major crush checking you out. Feeling dread, recording the time you felt it, and finding out a loved one was harmed at exactly the recorded time. It is often called empathy, which is actually just the intellectual ability to "put yourself in someone else's shoes." Clairsentience is sometimes responsible for what many occultists confuse with the highly sought out psychic version of empathy. Other times it can just be an overemotional teenager. lol
To develop it try tuning into vibes around you and sending them others' ways. You can look at a picture or painting try picking up the emotional attachment to its original. You can also put yourself in a public area and challenge yourself to figure out the mental, emotional, and physical condition of random people you see and don't know personally. Dogs can be of assistance, they are very emotionally intuitive creatures.

Hope this was useful and I'm sorry it took me so long. Smile
Back to top Go down
Electric Touch
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   8/6/2013, 5:24 pm

no worries, and thanks, those concepts just sound familiar to me (:
Back to top Go down
LadySnow

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   8/7/2013, 1:29 am

They're very big topics in the occult community from what I've seen although sometimes difficult to identify and develop.
Back to top Go down
Dramega
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   8/8/2013, 12:36 am

On a roll number 3. 10 points plus combo 20 pts. Up to 50 now.
Back to top Go down
draemer

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   9/11/2013, 10:15 pm

Great article. Divination, which I’ve always called ESP, is a seriously important topic. Some things I’d like to add:

I’m pretty sure that divination originates in the unconscious. This would explain why dreams of the future happen, and why conscious predictions of the future feel paradoxically like memories. That would explain why my ability to recall forgotten memories improved as my ESP ability…it’s basically the same thing: retrieving information from the unconscious. Point being: this power is deep in there, so using it is just a matter of getting it out.

There’s a number of ways of getting it out. My favorite is by dreaming. Dreams happen because when we sleep, the brain is still working, sending out random, totally meaningless signals. The unconscious doesn’t like randomness, so it tries to interpret those signals, and the result is dreams. Since dreams are created by the unconscious, they can be used to find out what’s in the unconscious (for more on this, research Freud’s theories on dreams)…including information about the future. Lucid dreaming is obvious a useful tool, since you can search for this information instead of letting them come to you randomly. Recently, I’ve taken lucid dreaming one step further with something I call “dreamworking”. Dreamworking is basically making things in the dreamscape that the unconscious will fill with information. My setup is this: I built a library, where books on one side hold information about the past, and books on the other side hold information about the future. Even though I don’t know anything about the future, my unconscious does, so all I have to do is go into the dream and open one of those books, and my unconscious will fill it in. Note: getting this to a useful stage requires dozens of hours of meditating on those objects you create. I’ve only clocked about 12 on my library, but already I’m getting good results.

But basically any ceremony could be used to get information about the future out of the unconscious if you associate that ceremony with predicting the future. I think that’s how tarot cards work. There’s nothing inherently magical about the cards. The cards, after all, don’t explicitly tell you the future; they have to be interpreted. Your unconscious determines how you interpret the cards, and in that way gives you an indirect prediction of the future.

I think they are a useful tool for predicting the future, but I’m working on a different system for two reasons: 1) I believe my system will work better, and 2) as a science student, I wouldn’t be caught dead using tarot cards or doing occult practices!

Keep in mind that the point of this is to be an interface between the conscious and the unconscious. You need to be able to tell your unconscious what you want to predict, and you need a way to interpret what your unconscious is telling you. I’m using a series of symbols to communicate with my unconscious, by writing them in those books in my dream-library. Then, I give myself a random sequence of symbols, like a Rorschach blotch test, and interpret them. Before I can use this, I have to meditate on the first set of symbols and give them meaning. That meaning will be ingrained into my unconscious with repetition, much the same way as a habit is developed. I’ve clocked about six hours of meditation with this.
Back to top Go down
Electric Touch
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   9/12/2013, 5:59 am

the best explanation i found for what dreams are is that they are a visual representation of our thoughts.
if you sit down, close your eyes (dont have to, but it runs better that way), and start following your stream of thoughts youll see how redicules and weird they get the deeper you go into it, much like how weird dreams get.
aside from that i got to see a few times the transition of my thoughts become visualized by the mind at that very moment before you black out and fall asleep.
and more than that! after experiencing different states of mind ive began to develop this sensation which comes naturally from time to time (unless i induce it myself) like im dreaming when im awake. i switch to a state clear of thoughts, or a state near clear of thoughts to bring upon a feeling as if im dreaming when im actually awake (especially if im alone at night in the middle of the street).
it was that feeling that in time connected me to the understanding of what lucid dreaming may actually be. lucid dreaming is just like taking control over your thoughts when meditating and reaching that state of Gnosis (no thoughts). you stop the dream, that stream of thoughts and you gain control over it, the feeling of both is very similar, and i noticed that as i get better at staying in a gnostic state i gain more lucid dreams and better control over them.

i liked your use of lucid dreams Draemer.
giving symbols meaning - im not sure if youre familiar with it but you might want to check out "sigils" cause thats exactly what that is, it could help out your training.
Back to top Go down
draemer

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   9/18/2013, 10:24 am

That "dreaming while awake" sounds interesting, and is definitely something I'd like to hear more about.

I'll look in to sigils, thank you.
Back to top Go down
Dramega
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   9/18/2013, 12:37 pm

Sigils are very interesting and useful tool for any practitioner.
Back to top Go down
Electric Touch
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   9/18/2013, 4:56 pm

the dreaming while awake part, is more of a sensation, a feeling you get that is similar to a feeling you have while in a dream. im not quite sure when it began, but i guess it must have been in between a period of meditation, learning how to overcome fear and understanding the blueprints of reality (more or less..)
somwhere in the point where you reach out and form some sort of connection towards that understanding, that feeling must have surfaced. it probably also has something to do with states of mind, i know others who can relate of having that feeling when practicing magick.

its a really nice thing to play with, in a lot of dreams you get that care free feeling that you can do anything, and its a really nice thing to feel while awake, plus when you use it in a situation you usually fear it just makes things fun =P
Back to top Go down
LadySnow

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   9/19/2013, 7:50 am

I often look at it like a form of self-implied hypnotism. It is good for practice and I find it can easily be tapped into when you find your muse which practice of course does that for many occultists.

It can be very useful, especially since you don't have to use it for fun but any desired state of mind really. For instance being passionate and ecstatic, "The world has endless possibilities for me right this instant!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Divination as a Practice   

Back to top Go down

Divination as a Practice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1