Guardian Forums
Welcome. If you are a guest or are new to metaphysics, feel free to join. This is a great community where you can start your path. Please register to view more of the forums. Join today!
Guardian Forums
Welcome. If you are a guest or are new to metaphysics, feel free to join. This is a great community where you can start your path. Please register to view more of the forums. Join today!
Guardian Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guardian Forums

Connection Through Metaphysical Concept

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Essence of a Being

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Radagast
Novice
Novice

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/6/2013, 10:50 pm

So I was having trouble putting this(essence) into words a while back. I looked this up a few days ago and came across this website that had a neat explanation of what the essence of a person is. Thought I'd share. Let me know if you guys disagree or has more to add. Smile
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/articles/NArtPandE.asp#.UlIf51BFqh2
Back to top Go down
Electric Touch
Initiate
Initiate
Electric Touch

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/7/2013, 8:29 am

yep, its really nice, has a lot of truth in it.
i like to think about it more as changing and expanding your current "personality" rather than finding it, but its just another way to say it.
Back to top Go down
Electric Touch
Initiate
Initiate
Electric Touch

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/7/2013, 4:24 pm

at the end it doesnt really explain what an essence of a being is but i guess i wouldnt know where to start myself ^^
Back to top Go down
Radagast
Novice
Novice

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/7/2013, 5:29 pm

Hmmm yeah, it really doesn't. I guess it's something that's best understood when you have felt it yourself....
Back to top Go down
LadySnow
LadySnow

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/9/2013, 8:35 pm

I could see this holding a lot of personal truth for someone a bit more spiritual than myself. In the same respect I'd look at the article in question as someone's personal theory of self-actualization rather than factual information.

"Essence of Being" has a personal definition for each individual. It is, essentially (hehe I made a funny) in my opinion just what it takes to keep your clock ticking. In other words the literal definition being applied to possible inexact theories, an example would the article we just read.

For me, "essence of being" is not my personality as that it is a perceived concept through external minds (mostly what other people see of what exactly is me) but more the whole or entirety of my own mentality. This includes things like how I think, react, and the unique way I personally perceive the world and otherwise.

I liked the article you provided, just as Electric I see a lot of truths in it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arcaneunlocked.com/
Electric Touch
Initiate
Initiate
Electric Touch

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/10/2013, 6:15 am

when i saw the what is the essence of a being the first thing that popped into my head was what we are, not as humans but as a whole entity. which frankly i cant really say since im not aware of my whole self, so its a hard thing to put into words from a point of lack of understanding.

i think they used the word personality there but didnt really mean it that way, more as a way to converse their idea.
personality isnt made by what people think of you, its how a person behaves, that same person can be effected by how people think of him but it is his choice to change he's/she's behavior according to others opinions.
that increase of awareness and development does change one's personality, so i can see why they would use that word, but it is tricky, i thought pretty much the same as you about it Snow, just looked at it from another side ^^
Back to top Go down
LadySnow
LadySnow

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/10/2013, 8:51 am

The thing about personality is yes, it is behavior which is an external concept rather than internal (behavior vs. mentality in other words). Therefore personality is based not just on perception but perspective. People infrequently see themselves the way others do. Usually there is a level of biased regarding one's perception of their own personality due to them having front-row seats to their thoughts unlike other people. Personality is a general consensus of one's behavior whereas mentality is more accurately described by the individual in question.

Basically what I'm saying is that personality is a very pretentious way to describe someone while mentality would go more in depth of who they actually are. It's like a person suffering from severe antisocial personality disorder (APD) very much vouching for their own sanity while they very well might not be as justifiably behaved as they might think.

Get what I'm saying there? Personality in my opinion is a very difficult thing to pin as it's all extremely subjective.

Aside from all of that explanation there is a method to my madness as you might say. I disagree on some things from the article in question but that might be my personal issue with the concept of a "soul" or "spirit". While I realize the word "spirit" was used to basically describe a person's ego (and I don't mean self esteem) I still think it's an article specifically meant for people with a higher baring in spirituality.
Back to top Go down
Radagast
Novice
Novice

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/10/2013, 12:07 pm

Not going to lie, I only read about half of the article. I don't remember them saying that personality is the same as essence however.
In my opinion, personality is part of your ego and your essence sometimes can be reflected/come out in your personality. However, this is rather rare. I think this happens more often in people who has essences that are more compatible with their ego or people who are more spiritually enlightened.
For me, essence is ... how a person's soul FEELS like. So the different things that may influence this is well I guess I'm not 100% about this... haha...probably their reincarnation history and different events that have influenced the the soul to become what it has became.
Back to top Go down
Electric Touch
Initiate
Initiate
Electric Touch

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/11/2013, 9:37 am

im confused... not so sure what to say here ...

My lady! are you saying i have a higher baring of spirituality?

ill just say that i think that different people use terms like 'spirit' and 'soul' with different meanings... than others... maybe.. cause no one can specificly pinpoint what those terms really mean.. each of us gives them a meaning that is more suited for us... ?

konbanwa?
Back to top Go down
Radagast
Novice
Novice

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/11/2013, 10:08 am

Haha was I that much off the mark? xD Thank you for covering my back.

Last edited by |V|use on 10/22/2013, 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dramega
Admin
Admin
Dramega

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/11/2013, 12:34 pm

Great article. Sounds similar to some articles on Ego Death. How the personality holds us back due to fear. This fear stimulating from negative reactions and emotions dating back to childhood. Upon ego death, we can reattain that unlimited potential and move past our emotional restrictions.

"Generally, we do not experience our Essence and its many aspects because our awareness is so dominated by our personality."

Alot of similarities.

"Remember, the Enneagram does not put us in a box, it shows us the boxes that we are already in—and the way out."
Back to top Go down
https://gnforums.aforumfree.com
Electric Touch
Initiate
Initiate
Electric Touch

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/11/2013, 5:22 pm

my post there... i .. really was confused with things, not sure what threw me off ^^

didnt read the whole thing now did ya V?
so far off? i dont think its like that, its just oppinions of experience.. not sure what im saying again.
for example, for you, the essence is how a person's soul FEELS like, right?
what does that mean to you how a person feels? what does it tell you?

yes, i see the talk about not experiencing our essence as not experiencing our full self, all from lack of awarness which is firstly restricted by the ego, our thoughts.
Back to top Go down
LadySnow
LadySnow

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/17/2013, 10:38 pm

Than me! I would guess you have at least a slightly higher baring of spirituality than I do. XD
Back to top Go down
Electric Touch
Initiate
Initiate
Electric Touch

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime10/18/2013, 10:19 am

lol, keep it up and ill have to buy you dinner xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Essence of a Being Empty
PostSubject: Re: Essence of a Being   Essence of a Being I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Essence of a Being
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guardian Forums :: Metaphysical Beginnings :: Beginnings Discussion Area :: General-
Jump to: